About Me

My photo
Decisions...decisions. Some good...some not so good. One thing is for sure-the more questionable the decision the more entertaining the story.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The COVER LETTER

The cover letter you use for a job search is your calling card.  It should be free of typos and it should reflect who you are, why you're writing it, and most importantly why the reader should keep reading.  As a human resources professional I know how vital that first impression is for your success in obtaining an interview.  It's all or nothing.

I revamped my cover letter to contain 3 paragraphs of 3-4 sentences with a goal of having the cover letter take up about 3/4 of a page:

Paragraph 1: Introduction
This paragraph explains who I am and my request for consideration.  It tells the reader where I found the posting, and which posting I am responding to and wishing to obtain.

Paragraph 2: What can I offer the employer
This paragraph tells the reader why I think I'm the match for the role and the factual contributions I've made in other roles that will be a huge benefit to this new potential employer.  I never mention what I want, and only share what I can do for the employer.

Paragraph 3:  Thank you
Let's face it---recruiters are inundated with responses.  Give your reader words of positive affirmation for choosing your cover letter and choosing your resume to review.  Yes, be humble-because you could have gone in that other pile!

Overall the letter should be reflective of you.  I can't tolerate canned cover letters and I want to feel the applicant's enthusiasm in the role.  This is what sets you apart from the others simply looking for a paycheck.  I want to make a difference in this role, and I'm going to share that.  If it turns off the reader, well I suppose that role will go to the applicant that's a better fit for it.  If I'm a potential fit I will most likely hear from the employer wanting to learn more about me.

So there you have it.....a cover letter that will represent me in the best light and still be a true representation of who I am.  I now have my template.

Now let's be proactive about it.  I emailed it to myself, because I want it available in the event I need to send it out and all I have is my smart phone.  So now it sits in my draft section of my email on my phone.  That feels good!

No comments:

Post a Comment