About Me

My photo
Decisions...decisions. Some good...some not so good. One thing is for sure-the more questionable the decision the more entertaining the story.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Unemployed: Week 1

This week was a total catch up week.  I learned a few things along the way and immediately took advice from many sources to make sure this week was as productive but relaxing as possible.

ON THE HOME FRONT: Utilities
Let's face it...I'm unemployed and it's time to really take a look at my budget.  I want to think I will find a job soon, but if I don't I need to make sure I'm doing everything possible to minimize all my expenses.  I took a deep breath, and I did a few things:

Cancelled the cable.  It's lousy service and I'm not really watching it.  We really stream most of our content and football season is really over for us as Charger fans.  Goodbye FIOS cable and hello to our new low bill of $49.99 plus tax on internet only.

Southern California Edison- Why, yes I am on a limited low income budget.  I have no incoming deposits at the moment!!  SCE has now placed me on a low income program called CARE.  I get a 20% discount on my electricity bill.  Turning on lights as needed and this discount will reduce my bill!

The Gas Company- Why they have a CARE program too!  Here's to saving 20% on my gas bill as well.

MONSTER.COM
Well seeing that I'm in the job market I chose Monster.com as my public resume holder.  The process to open up an account was free and for the most part very easy to do.  I did some searches and sent my resume out to 4 employers.  Most importantly I created a comprehensive profile.  I saw that I had been "found" in 15 searches since I posted my resume this week.  That sounds like a good start!

Self Study SHRM program- I have put together a schedule for studying while I'm in between jobs.  My goal is to be certified in HR and be able to place the SPHR initials next to my name on my business cards.  For all the non-HR folks--this designation is kind of like the CPA initials next to an accountant's name.  It proves that you really know your stuff!  I will have 8 months to go through 6 modules, flashcards, and 6 pre-tests to prepare for a 4 hour test in October.  I know I can do this!

By the way --the car and humble abode are clean and organized.

Now I can enjoy the Superbowl festivities and go into Week 2 ready and prepared.

I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment