About Me

My photo
Decisions...decisions. Some good...some not so good. One thing is for sure-the more questionable the decision the more entertaining the story.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Se Habla Español?

I mentioned in an early blog posting that San Diego's job market appears to be very dynamic.  In stating that I realize that I also have to place into perspective the amount of job postings given San Diego's workers population.  I don't have statistics or research to tell you how more dynamic the job market is in comparison to Riverside or San Bernardino's job market.  All I can tell you is that I see new job postings on a daily basis on the three job boards I am routinely checking for the two geographic areas I am monitoring (Temecula and the San Diego area just North of the I-8 freeway.)

The job postings I am mainly focused on require bilingual skills in Spanish.  It appears to be the niche for HR and Benefits positions in the San Diego area.  The compensation rate for these positions is generally a little higher and normally recruiting managers require testing to prove your bilingual skills.  I was a little nervous initially about these tests, so I took a free online assessment of my Spanish skills to figure out where I rated.  I took my assessment at:  http://www.gostudyspain.es/Spanish-Level-Test.htm.  This site allowed me to rate my Spanish and provided an excellent review of spelling and grammar.

Once I was able to identify my weaknesses in Spanish grammar a trip to the local library was called for.  I came across a couple of books that helped me prepare for my Spanish assessment testing. After my studying I felt very confident and scored very well with potential employers. I'm very pleased that I was able to find these tools to improve my writing in Spanish and actually add quite a few words to my Spanish business vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment